This role can be based out of our Manchester or Ewloe office.
While the UK economy is feeling more buoyant, we know that consumers are still feeling the pinch, and could be saving hundreds of pounds. We aim to help by shining a light on the best ways households can take control of their finances. We are here for our customers, whether through the expert content on our website, our online chat service or our dedicated phone lines, which support those channels, such as energy comparison, where that extra bit of help can make all the difference to a customer’s peace of mind.
Find out more about us and explore our site here
Why Join the Data Team?
An exciting opportunity to work with a small team of Group Data Engineers working on new data innovations and opportunities for the MSM group. The team are looking at supporting new areas of growth, new data initiatives and extending and increasing the flexibility of our data warehouse.
You will also work closely with the team testing our data warehouse and be part of the wider test community at Moneysupermarket. We’re looking to innovate and improve in all areas, seeing how we can alter working practices in testing and increase both speed and quality.
You will get exposure to the new breed of technologies in the data so it’s a great opportunity to grow your skills as a data tester and deliver value to a business looking to provide great savings to our customers.
What will I be doing?
- Identify, plan and execute appropriate testing for all types of data developments
- Perform various types of testing to maintain a stable environment including but not limited to ETL, Warehouse and BI report testing, both manual and automated
- Analyse test results and translate into meaningful data, providing a clear, concise conclusion
- Continuously identify, discuss and implement test improvements to maximise effectiveness and efficiency within the team
- Improve quality of change delivered by ensuring close collaboration with relevant parties
- Build and maintain effective working relationships and close communication with colleagues and other areas of the business
- Adhere to Test team processes and procedures where required but utilise own judgment to question and offer improvements where appropriate
- Create and maintain test documentation, including scripts (automated and manual), processes and procedures
- Increase capability within the team by sharing test knowledge amongst colleagues
- Provide support test support and knowledge to team and others members of development as required
- Assist other roles within the team where required to ensure continuous flow of work
- Escalate issues appropriately
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for task in hand and eagerness to impart knowledge to others
- Defect and Incident management and review
- Manage deployments and the release process of tested deliverables
What skills and experience do I need?
- Very strong SQL skills, can write complex queries
- Knowledge of testing ETL jobs from Talend, or other similar ETL tools
- Can perform Source and Target data comparisons in SQL and for files
- Ability to understand dimensional data models
- Ability to clearly and accurately identify test requirements
- Ability to plan, schedule and execute various forms of testing
- Ability to analyse test results and form and communicate a conclusion
- Impact & risk analysis and ability to take appropriate action to mitigate
- Excellent knowledge of industry best practices, methodologies, techniques, tools, resources and data legislation
- Ability to understand data flow in the system and analyse schema diagrams
- Ability to test data driven software applications
- Knowledge of BI tools such as Tableau
- Excellent organisation, planning and prioritisation skills
- Ability to work with others to maximise effectiveness and ensure a quality product
- Ability to clearly and accurately identify test requirements from mappings documents
- Skilled in various types of testing including but not limited to functional, performance, resilience, risk based, exploratory, cross-browser, mobile
- Proven experience on large data migration or data integration projects dealing with vast amount of data
- Able to identify some key risk area’s around data and how we might mitigate these
- Experience of working within an Agile company with proven skills in Agile ways of working
- Testing of Data Warehouse builds, large Data Migrations or a large complex data environment
- Knowledge of testing user interfaces to ensure the quality of the data and user experience being presented to customers.
- Experience in tools used for transferring/comparing data
- Experience of compiling, maintaining and executing test plans/test scripts and analysing associated results
- Experience of working within a fast paced, maintenance environment with rapidly changing priorities
- Experience of continually and proactively identifying and implementing performance improvements
Nice to have:
- Recognised qualification in Testing (ISEB/ISTQB/BCS)
- Experience on working with Technologies in the big data space such as Spark, Kafka or Parquet,
- Ability to provide estimates at all stages where required
- Knowledge of one or more agile delivery approaches
- Experience of compiling reports
- Knowledge of release management tasks
- Experience of analysis of requirements and writing user stories
- Experience of identifying test requirements from various sources, including IT Technical resources
- Experience in documenting test processes and procedures
- Experience of generating test data and obfuscating test data
- Experience with Big Data tools
- Experience with Vertica or other column store databases
- Worked with data cubes – testing fact tables and dimensions
- Knowledge of any of the following languages / tools: SAS, T-SQL and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and above, V-SQL, R, Oracle