While the UK economy is feeling more buoyant, we know that consumers are still feeling the pinch, and could be saving hundreds of pounds. We aim to help by shining a light on the best ways households can take control of their finances. We are here for our customers, whether through the expert content on our website, our online chat service or our dedicated phone lines, which support those channels, such as energy comparison, where that extra bit of help can make all the difference to a customer’s peace of mind.
Find out more about us and explore our site here
Why Join the Technology Team?
Technology is at the forefront of our business, we continually strive to do the best for our customers aiming to save millions of UK consumer’s substantial amounts on their bills. We are a dynamic team working with multiple stakeholders across the business on both BAU and Project streams.
We are looking for a Senior Test Engineer dedicated to adding significant value to the process of delivering solutions for the business. Within the Agile technology team, you will demonstrate your expertise by leading the test function and ensure we’re delivering quality and value as part of the cycle. You will be a mentor to Junior members of the team whilst Leading the day to day test workflow and be the expert in areas such as, performance testing, test automation. The role is key in ensuring the required standards have been met as part of the development lifecycle enabling the business to deliver its strategic objectives.
What will I be doing?
- All Test Engineer activities/tasks
- Take an integral part in the project team, partaking in all stages of the development cycle from ideation to Live release
- Lead, plan, estimate and execute appropriate testing and resource for all types of change
- Ensure the right tools, software and resources are in place when required for work in flow
- Identify tests for automation and resource/training required to complete
- Ensure suitable, correctly configured environments are available for testing at all times, working closely with other roles/departments where needed
- Continually monitor test progress, taking action to mitigate any risks or implement improvements as required
- Accurately report on test status, including defects as required and advising at go/no-go meetings
- Demonstrate leadership and a high level of ability in at least one of the following technical skills: Automation, performance, security, Non-functional testing, Mobile device testing, Mobile performance testing, data testing, integration/back-end testing or ways of working/process improvement whilst working towards a competent level in all others relevant to your team.
- Assist the Test Team in their development, providing accurate feedback to assist in their development
- Be the ambassadors for the test function, take steps to raise the profile of what we do and how we do it
- Improve quality of change delivered by questioning existing practices and actively seeking improvements, liaising with all roles to action, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Build and maintain effective working relationships and close communication with the project team and test community, ensure an effective communication with the business and other stakeholders
- Create, implement and communicate changes to Test team processes and procedures, supporting the implementation of any changes and ensuring adherence to all processes
- Assist the team in identifying what documentation they should produce, when, and to what quality.
- Encourage the team to share knowledge and find ways to share their skills within the team, utilise other roles (i.e. developers) if required
- Act as an escalation point for associate and professional test engineers, escalating to TTL/DL/PM as appropriate
- Ensure effective communication within the test guild through guild/chapter meetings, twiki, confluence etc
- Line Management responsibility
What skills and experience do I need?
- Excellent test planning and execution skills, in a range of test types as outlined in the test strategy
- Lead testing across multiple work streams
- Advise on testing best practise
- Be seen as the test expert (‘go-to’ person) in your area of expertise
- Provide support for development of all MS testers
- Create, implement and ensure adherence to test processes
- Select, implement and maintain appropriate test tools, ensuring team receives relevant training
- Ability to get the most out of yourself and others
- Adaptable, flexible with a passion to succeed
- Experienced in leading/mentors others to achieve
- Represent Testing at TLT level as required
- Recruitment and assessment of all testers
- Able to work effectively with all project stakeholders
- Actively build and promote the test community and where possible grow our external influence
- Excellent problem solver, willing to challenge the norm and make changes for the better
- Keep on track with internal technology advances ensuring the test team is prepared for the upcoming change, in whatever way is required
Nice to have:
- ISTQB Intermediate/advanced qualifications
- Industry testing experience (experience in web/mobile for web testing roles)
- Experienced in a variety of software development methodologies
- Experienced in ‘test-first’ approaches to software development (e.g. TDD)
- Skills in performance management