Why Join MoneySavingExpert.com?
MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) is the UK’s biggest consumer website. It provides millions of users with free, independent, editorially-led information about all things money. The goal for everyone working at MSE is simple – we’re dedicated to cutting consumer bills and fighting hard for financial justice for everyone. We get around 15m Money Savers to our website every month. Our weekly email is full of exclusive deals, tricks and MoneySaving guides, all aimed at helping people make the most of their cash. The MSE Forum is a lively and supportive community, with more than 1.5 million users taking part in 3 million discussions ranging from making the most of your credit card to good old-fashioned thrifty budgeting. In addition, our Cheap Energy Club takes the hard work out of switching energy and saving on energy bills whilst our Credit Club is a great way of managing an array of financial decisions.
But what really makes MSE stand-out from the crowd is the Editorial Code, which lies at the heart of everything we do. Regardless of your role at MSE, it’s everybody’s job to champion the consumer - and that makes us a truly unique, exciting and rewarding place to work. If you are inspired by what we do or see yourself as a passionate consumer champion, and have the grit and enthusiasm along with the skills we seek, a career in MSE might just be the next step you’re looking for.
Why Join the Product Team?
Reporting to the Product Director (PD) and working with the Editor in Chief (EIC), the Senior Product Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of a number of products. They will take an active role in the full product lifecycle; driving and guiding product strategy, shaping and launching new products, providing data driven iteration and improvement, and finally identifying products that are at the end of their life and need to be withdrawn. Unique to MSE, they will help drive delivery of our overall product roadmap in accordance with our Editorial Code which ensures integrity, the independent voice of MSE and is underpinned by “helping the consumer first”. They will be a catalyst for differentiating MSE in the marketplace and a thought leader across our other brands at Moneysupermarket PLC Group.
Relationship management skills are key, and we are looking for a great team player and partner to our engineering, design, delivery and editorial teams. They will also act as a mentor and coach to more junior members of the team.
Applicants should have knowledge of the consumer finance landscape, and track record in delivering operational excellence. We are looking for an innovative and passionate consumer champion who believes in our vision of helping our customers and users save money in all aspects of life. Someone who is comfortable coordinating each of the areas of product development in an editorially led organization, and who understands why the editorial stance needs to remain independent from commercial objectives, yet is able to skillfully navigate this challenge with real entrepreneurial flair and commercial astuteness to continue to grow our financial success. So, whether it’s the creation of amazing new products that we’ve not even thought of yet, or finding new ways to commercialise, operationalise or expose our content through our existing stack, this key leadership role is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate.
What will you be doing?
- Help drive delivery of the overarching strategic vision and prioritise product development work, always with the consumer at the centre and striking the right balance of short-term commercial requirements and long-term strategic growth
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Design, Director of Product & Editor-in-Chief to enhance and redefine how consumers engage with our editorial content, across multiple formats and platforms.
- Drive delivery of the multichannel product strategy including Editorial Content, Clubs, Personalised Tools, Forum and other MSE branded products.
- Help build detailed investment cases, presenting to key stakeholders. Define the timeline, vision and optimal development methodology to drive and deliver all new Product and Project initiatives.
- Help the team to deliver velocity and efficiency, with a strong emphasis on continuous delivery and optimisation
- Partner with key stakeholders across the organisation, successfully managing expectations, provide transparency across projects and align Product Roadmaps to the overall business strategy
- Take ownership of and manage relationships with third party providers
- Work with the email team to gather requirements for trigger emails
- Assist the CRM team with a test and learn CRM programme
Leadership and People Management
- Guide and support the other product team members in their efforts to meet and exceed their KPIs in order to allow the team to contribute to MSE’s strategic objectives.
- Provide thought leadership for the team and MSE as a whole.
- Mentor, coach, motivate and develop the more junior members of the team.
Controls, Risk Management and Standards
- Ensuring the Product team is closely aligned with Design, Editorial, Commercial and Operations teams; define, develop and deploy a strategy that champions consumers and inspire everyone to ‘cut costs and take control of their money’.
- Work with other product managers to ensure systems are in place for monitoring performance both financial and non-financial, against plans and budgets.
What do you need to excel in this role?
- Consumer product experience.
- Significant experience in agile product creation and product innovation.
- Understanding of Editorial working environments.
- Experience working in tech oriented, digital businesses.
- Successful track record in engaging, developing and empowering diverse teams.
- Successful track record of delivering operational excellence in SME type business.
- The ability to crunch numbers and think analytically
- Ability to adapt writing to fit MoneySavingExpert’s house style
- Product Management
- Product Management
- An experience practitioner in the field of product management with experience of a range of approaches.
- Ability to take a pragmatic approach to product management that meets the evolving needs of the business.
- Values driven and purpose led manager, skilled at creating and delivering a compelling vision.
- Adept at contributing a culture of high performance, collaboration and innovation
- Adaptability and Pace
- Experience of working in complex, multi-faceted, digital environments with simultaneous projects.
- Strong focus on high pace and goal achievement.
- Problem Solving and Decision-Making
- Able to solve complex problems and generate creative options and ideas in ever-changing and ambiguous environments.
- High level of curiosity
- Strongly analytical individual who uses data and insight to make and validate decisions, with an appreciation and experience of developing, utilising and commercialising data
- Communication and Collaboration
- Confident, enthusiastic and persuasive, able to influence and stimulate others to action.
- Open and highly collaborative, focused on global as well as local results.
Nice to have:
- Experience driving financial performance.
- Experience in optimising journeys for email.
- Experience in managing technical aspects of CRM projects such as data management (warehouse and reporting) and email deliverability.
- A highly commercial leader, able to lead delivery of challenging commercial plans and goals
- Able to build strong rapport and relationships internally and externally with focus on achieving sustainable results
- Able to spot, develop, negotiate and deliver business development opportunities
- Regulatory Environment
- Knowledge and experience of operating within a regulated business with accountability for ensuring best practice and compliance with various associated standards and controls.